Monday, January 23, 2012

Hannah Stokes, Welcome

I really am quite happy :)
My life might not be full of exciting, exotic, thrilling happenings...but I can honestly say every night when my head hits the pillow that I am happy and that my day was wonderful.
I think I often take for granted how much peace I have in my life.
I usually wish for this grand adventure to take place...and while I consider my life to be incredible tame...that's an adventure in and of itself.
I am so incredible happy/thankful for all that I have been able to experience thus far in my life because when I look back on it, I realize I've done more than many people will ever get to do or see. And I am so..so thankful for that.
A part of me always wants to be on the fast track, hanging out with the go do'ers and living a life that always appeared to be glamorous and astounding-but once I sit down and really look at my life...I realize I'm not missing anything.
So I've never been to the ice caves, or gone repelling off a bridge, gone hiking in the rockies, four wheeling at the dunes, heck I haven't been to General Conference...but I'm just proud of myself to know that I can live an extreme life without having to measure myself up against those people who have.
Too often I'm comparing myself. I look at them, and think I'm not cool enough because I haven't done these things.
Well I'm tired of that.
I truly enjoy all that I have done. 
I love the friends I have and my roommates and all that they do for me.
I think my family is one of the coolest out there, even if we do spend most of our evenings watching old movies, eating fried chicken wings, and snuggling on the couch. We love to do stuff, but I love my family the most for being able to do normal, everyday activities that we love in the presence of each other.
We are able to be ourselves around each other without trying to measure up to some great expectation.
I'm so proud of myself for having the curiosity and courage to go repelling or rock climbing if the opportunity arose-but I know I'm not going to wither away if it doesn't happen.
I'm grateful for the teachers I have and for the life lessons they keep teaching me everyday-how to live, how to work, and how to be the best possible person who can be. Honestly, our potential is limitless.
Like eternity, there's no end to what we can do.
When I was young, it took me a while to get confidence in myself.
Once I found it, I've never wavered. It's remained so sure with me. I never had to doubt it.
Now it has taken me a while to stop comparing myself to others.
I'm sure I still will, but it won't be in a manner that will cause me to tear myself down in the process.
It will be for self growth or to really appreciate the skill or wonder that someone has.
I hope this new state of mind will remain with me as strong and as sure as my confidence has.
I am so proud to be who I am.
I love being Hannah Stokes.
And there is no way I would ever give up what I have been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment